Monday 1 August 2016

Rudy Project Rydon Cycling Sunglasses


Preamble:
Now, it might seem a bit silly to write a review of a product that you’ve owned for about four years, but hear me out: first of all, these sunglasses don’t appear to have changed much, if at all, since I bought mine; secondly, they've truly sat test of time; thirdly, these are only one of two things I think I have ever bought that I hope never to have to change and have never seen an equivalent that I wish I had instead (the other being my Bianchi road bike, bought in 2008); and finally after a recent incident they deserve the recognition*!
In 2012 I was fortunate to be in the position to spend three months in Washington DC with my wife while she was doing some research at the Library of Congress: I was soon to be starting my Masters degree so decided to leave work a few months early to go with her, enjoy the weather, and train for my first Iron-distance event, Challenge Henley (this only ran once and was then moved to Weymouth before being taken over by the Ironman brand).
Whilst out there I joined the fantastic DC Tri Club so had a few opportunities to train with others and do a couple of their own members’ races. This is a huge club and DC is a bit of a triathlon hot-bed with a broad range of abilities (from complete novices to pros and Olympic hopefuls). I met some really nice people and top-quality athletes out there, including Lindsey Jerdonek, an elite Team USA triathlete (I bought some goggles off her and she also gave me a running cap- which I still wear for most sunny races and runs!)
But back to the review… I decided to treat myself to some decent sunglasses for cycling and running. I’d previously had some budget ones which were ok, but not great, and I had an amazing 50% discount on all Rudy Project kit as a DC Tri member so thought it would be rude not to! I had tried on some Oakleys but found them a bit too bulky and heavy for my liking.
After much deliberation and trying different frame-and-lens combination, I went for the Rydon Crystal with two sets of lenses: the photochromic impactX (9-74% light transmission) and the Multilaser Red (20% light transmission).
 The Look:
Let’s face it, one of the main reasons most of us choose a lot of the gear that we do is for the look, and I have to admit I’m no different. These glasses just look cool. Their slim, sleek lines almost make you think you can go faster. They are quite a subtle pair of glasses though, without the in-your-face ostentatiousness of the Ergomasks or Oakley Jawbreakers.
The ‘crystal’ part of the name refers to the colour choice- in this case the frame is clear with removable red rubber arms and nose pads. The lenses I chose were a nice dark red for the really sunny days and the photochromic smoked ones for changeable weather or darker conditions.
A nice first impression.
The Feel:
These are exceptionally light glasses, which really appealed to me. I had to wear normal specs for years before getting laser eye surgery to correct my myopia and astigmatism, and often found eyewear uncomfortable for one reason or another. You might almost think that they’re too light: you wonder if you might break them if you hold them too tightly (see footnote anecdote*), but when they’re on your face (or resting on your head) they are really nice.
The rubber on the nose pads is firm but with a bit of give, and also quite grippy. This makes it comfortable but also helps the glasses stay in place. The arm covers are the same but if I had one criticism (and it’s a small one), the angular design of the tube can occasionally mean a slight pressure behind the ear if they’re not on quite right or perhaps if you adjust your helmet while riding.
The Performance:
Performance-wise they leave no question unanswered:  the option to quickly and easily change your lenses to suit conditions makes them extremely versatile. The multilaser reds are a nice, bright, Terminator-looking reflective pair, though after years of abuse the reflective sheen is wearing out, and these do a great job of keeping out 80% of the bright light- perfect for those really sunny runs and rides. They also help you hide the suffering in your eyes from competitors on the run at the end of a tri! With these on I never find myself squinting and they provide enough coverage for even the fast descents on the bike without wind getting around and making your eyes water.
I also find that by not squinting into the sun or wind my facial muscles relax more. In turn, the little accessory muscles round the neck are less active, so sunglasses may even help fatigue to a small degree.
The photochromic impact-x lenses are perfect for changing conditions and can be used at almost any time, with a range of 9-74% light transmission. This is particularly helpful for the inconsistent British weather or those early starts in the dark/dusk that brighten up over the course of the ride. They go clear enough to allow me to use them even when riding at night, though I’d keep that to city riding rather than unlit country lanes, and dark enough for bright sunny days too. They claim to be unbreakable and un-scratchable, and you can literally bend them in half when out of the frames. Mine remain more-or-less blemish free but there was an option to return them for the cost of postage if they did get damaged, which is an amazing guarantee.
These specs have seen me through three iron-distance races, a couple of marathons, and countless other training sessions and races without a hitch. You can adjust the fit of the bridge and the legs to make them wider or narrower, up and down, or put in some little bends and kinks to fit you perfectly.
* I recently went mountain biking and afterwards put my sunnies in the little bit on my helmet. When I got home and was taking my stuff back in the house, I forgot where they were and they dropped out without me realising. I couldn’t find them the next day and mentioned to my wife that I really hoped I’d not lost them. When I went outside I found them perched on my garden wall- someone had clearly put them there after finding them on the road. They were all bent out of shape and flattened and really looked like they’d been run over… but not broken! The lenses were totally fine so I moved all the relevant bits back into place, including a bit of hard plastic by the leg that isn’t even supposed to be flexible, and they’re absolutely fine! I genuinely couldn’t believe they’d survived that ordeal and it was this that really prompted me to write this review.
The Pros:
Light, stylish, comfortable, and really top performance- and extremely durable. Great choice of lenses and colours
The Cons:
Perhaps a rounded edge on the leg-rubber would be slight better, but that’s me searching hard. Not cheap (unless you’re in DC Tri Club!)
Buy them if:
- You like unobtrusive glasses
- You’re liable to abuse them a bit
- You like to chop and change the appearance sometimes
- You want a great pair of tri/bike/run specs that look good enough for everyday use too
Don’t buy them if:
- You’re on a tight budget: at $275 USD or £135 they're not cheap!
- You prefer the chunkier Oakley-style of eyewear
Verdict:
9.5/10 I love these!