Monday 22 August 2016

Kit Review: Dryrobe


Kit Review: Dryrobe

Having moved to Devon this time last year, I’ve really embraced the opportunity to use the abundant free swimming pools available locally: also known as the sea. I admit I’m not quite as hardy as those who brave the waters without a wetsuit, or those who continue right through the winter, but I did keep swimming until the last weekend in October, have been every week since the first weekend in May this season, and hope to prolong that a bit this year depending on conditions (though I might have to invest in some extra neoprene- hat, gloves, shoes- to make this feasible).

One of the worst things about outdoor swimming though is the cold afterwards: once you peel off that wetsuit which has been insulating you nicely and the wind hits, you can cool down pretty rapidly. This is then followed by the battle to get changed with your towel around your waist or chest as you try to maintain a semblance of decency and modesty. In more severe conditions with cold air temperature and the wind-chill factor, this is at best uncomfortable and at worst potentially dangerous.

Enter the Dryrobe: a waterproof, windproof, and lined changing robe    designed here in Devon and manufactured overseas (for the full story click here). The brainchild of a surfer who was fed up of getting changed in the cold and wet of winter, these can now be seen at many beaches, lakes, and lidos being used by surfers, triathletes, kite-surfers, and swimmers (and anyone else who is silly enough to get in the water when it’s cold!)

I did buy myself a cheap towelling change robe from Saltrock in Exeter, which is fine for the warm, still days, but eventually decided to splash out on a Dryrobe this year when my wife kindly convinced me that it was worth the outlay!

I bought mine from online outdoor-clothing and equipment retailer Surfdome, who offered free next-day delivery. I’ve since used my Dryrobe on several occasions at the beach post-sea swim and my wife used it while we were camping as she was cold one evening!
Box Fresh!

The Look:
The Dryrobe pretty much looks like you’d expect it to: it’s essentially a massive, hooded poncho with a zip up the front. It’s quite bulky due to it being waterproof and lined, but is really light and packs down reasonably well (there is also a compression sack available to buy, similar to those used for  sleeping bags). However, it's probably worth paying the few extra pounds for the Dryrobe specific one, I'd guess.

I got the adult standard size which does drown me a little bit (I’m only 167cm / 5’6” tall and 66kg), but that’s kind of what you want from it anyway- more coverage equals more protection from the elements! There is also a small, an XL, and junior version available, as well as long- or short-sleeved options.

With a good selection of liner colours available and a more limited choice of outer colours, as well as the option to personalise for individuals, clubs, and events (at extra cost) you do have a pretty good choice. The outer is available in black, red, navy, or camouflage (!) There are six liner choices with the black, two for the navy, and a grey liner only for the red and camo. I chose the black with orange liner, though now wish I’d went for light blue to match Exeter Tri Club’s colours.

I like it that they give you instructions on how to get it personalised yourself if you have the skill or somewhere nearby you can take it as it allows you to spread the extra cost (and probably do it a bit cheaper), or the option to use heat applied vinyl.

The Feel:

When I first put in on I did feel very warm, very quickly, though I was fully clothed and indoors at the time- come on, we’re all the same when we get a new toy or piece of kit! However, it was pretty apparent it would keep me nice and toasty outdoors too.

Wearing it against my skin I must say I found the synthetic liner to be a little scratchy, but I do find real wool a bit of a challenge at times as well. However, I have got used to this over time and I think after a wash it will make it a bit better (NB Dryrobe recommend minimal washing).

As I have already said it’s light and, especially with the hood up, also very cosy. It basically feels like a nice warm protective cocoon.

The Performance:

Double Zip
The Dryrobe does exactly what it aims and claims to do: keeps you warm and dry in the wind and rain, while offering space in which to get changed. The wide sleeves and generous width of the body mean you can get your arms in and out to change your gear without any hassle. There is ample room to even lift your knees up whilst fully zipped up to get in and out of your wetsuit.

The full-length zip works from both inside and out by flipping a single loop over, though I’d probably prefer it to have a separate one for each. It’s a nice chunky YKK zip though, which is what you need for these things, especially if your fingers are a bit numb and can also be unzipped from the bottom up.


It has two large outer pockets which are fleece-lined to keep your hands warm, as well as a large inner storage pocket for your pants and/or sandwiches, and MP3 storage too.
MP3 Pocket
Internal Storage



Outer Pocket
Importantly after use it dries quickly, meaning you can go in and out of the water and re-use it on the same day, and the outer seems pretty easy to wipe clean.

Whilst its primary function is of course as a changing robe, it also works as a massive warm jacket for sitting around in on the beach or at the campsite. It seems well constructed and fairly robust: my dogs have walked over it a few times,it’s been sat on at pebble beaches, and slept in too without any ill effects.

Pros:
Fleece-lined Hood
The Dryrobe ticks all the boxes it aims to: it helps warm you up (then stay that way), dries you off then keeps you dry, and allows you to change inside whilst still being outside. I’m glad I made the investment as I will get a lot of use out of it and hope it lasts me a long time.

Cons:
The main drawback of the Dryrobe is the cost: the small adult short sleeve is £74.99, the standard adult short sleeve is £94.99, and the XL £110. The long sleeve starts at £119.99, and the juniors’ at £64.99. I’d personally like to see a small change in the zip design and I also found the liner to be a little itchy until I got used to it.

Buy it if:
  • You do a lot of outdoor watersports
  • You like to get out there even in colder weather
  • You want to be able to enjoy what you’ve just done when you get out the water rather than stand there shivering
  • You’re fed up of showing the public your more intimate body parts!

Don’t buy it if:
  • Cost is a factor

Verdict:

9/10

A great idea that has been very well executed, this piece of kit is a great investment for the outdoor watersports enthusiast. However, it does come at a fairly hefty price tag which loses it a mark.