Saturday 16 July 2016

Kit Review: Trail Shoes- Salomon Fellraisers

Since leaving my old Asics trail shoes at Killerton after a run when we misjudged sunset and had to do half of it in the dark, i've needed a new pair to see me through the plentiful off-road options around Devon. After doing one particularly tough, muddy run where a twig went right through the sole of the trainers I had on and got stuck in my foot, I realised I couldn't go on like that so eventually got a pair of Salomon Fellraisers from Wiggle with a healthy 40% discount to boot.

Regardless of my thoughts about claims made by manufacturers, there is no getting away from the fact that to train off-road, particularly if it's wet, this runner at least needs some decent grip and protection. 

Having tried on Rupert's (friend, training partner, and far-superior athlete to your's truly) Salomon Speedcross 3s for size, I opted to go for the lower-profile Fellraisers to suit my running style. I read reports that these were quite heavy and stiff, so was a little wary, but at the same time thought that to offer protection and grip they kind of need to be, no? However, Wiggle describe them as "a low, lightweight, and fast-drying trail shoe for training in muddy and wet conditions" so I thought I'd reserve judgement and make up my own mind.


Salomon footwear isn't the most budget-loving, so the discount which reduced the price to £54 was much appreciated. Without that I doubt I'd have forked out for them. I actually ordered two sizes to make use of Wiggle's excellent returns service, and went with the UK 9.5 (Eur 44, US 10) which is my usual size (I also got a half-size down, which was just too pinchy at the toes).




They made their off-road debut this week at Woodbury Common where I quite often go running or mountain biking with my wife, with the dogs running alongside. It offers a great variety of terrain: grass, trail, stones, mud, single-track, and is quite up-and-down everywhere you go- a perfect testing ground, really. On the day I ran it was dry and hot, with a nice breeze coming off the sea.

So, after convincing the dogs it would be a good idea to go for a trot in the sun...


The look:
Out the box I immediately liked the look of these: a fairly low profile and low heel-drop; nice colours (I chose the blue/black combo); big, chunky, tough "chevron" lugs; Salomon's quick-lace system... a nice first impression.


The feel:

Given their purpose and the solid, no-nonsense feel of these shoes, they are surprisingly (and pleasingly) light. Of course they're heavier than my racing flats, but what can you expect? I put them on and, whilst narrower at the toe than I would perhaps ask for, there was no pinching or discomfort. I found they rubbed a little around my lateral ankle, under the bone, but only on the right and I think this is more about my feet than the shoe. Either way, this did not last and didn't cause a blister. The Salomon QuickLace lacing system is exactly that- quick. It's also easy to use and gives a nice, evenly-distributed feel across the top of the foot.



The performance:
As I said, it was hot and dry up Woodbury, so I wondered if the stones and hard-ride of the tough outers would give me some foot pain. I needn't have worried: they were comfortable but reassuringly stiff; provided good grip on the large stones, loose gravel, and softer single-track areas alike. I did a relatively modestly-paced 7km run and had no problems at all. 
Down hill I felt confident that they'd help keep me upright and uphill they managed to dig-in enough to stop me slipping on the scree. One of the reasons I prefer the lower profile shoes is the reduced likelihood of turning an ankle, a particular issue with off-road running. No such problems with these, confirming that, for me at least, these were the right choice over the Speedcross. There was no loosening of the laces for the entire run and with them tucked away in the little tongue pocket, there was no risk of catching on a stray branch, root, or bramble (more than can be said for skin on my arms and legs!)
The "quick-drying" bit in the description comes from the meshy upper that allows some airflow. This helped stop my feet from overheating, but I imagine in the middle of winter you might want a little more warmth and wind-protection. I'm hoping a pair of SealSkinz socks will see to that though.


The pros:
Light (for a trail shoe), solid, and comfortable, I feel confident that these will work just as well, if not better, in the wet winters that the UK has to offer. They should cope with the tough terrain of Dartmoor, providing good grip in even the most challenging running conditions.

The cons:
They may be a bit too hard underfoot for spending any real time on tarmac, so if your trail runs also need to take in miles of road as well you might be better off with the slightly more trainer-y feel of something like the Speedcross. The mesh upper will obviously let in water (as well as let it out again), so if you suffer from poor circulation in your feet you'll want to invest in some warm or waterproof socks, or perhaps consider a GoreTex (or similar) option instead.


Buy them if:
- you like a lower profile
- you'll be running on some tough, slippery terrain
- you're happy to accommodate a bit of cold toes (or happy to buy some different socks)



Don't buy them if:
- you need a lot of cushioning
- you will be doing a lot of road running in them as well as trail
- you have Raynaud's Syndrome
- you have a particularly wide foot



Verdict:
9/10