Monday 11 July 2016

Kit Review: Running Shoes- Kalenji Eliorun

I've been in the market for a new pair of running shoes that I can use for general training that offer a little more cushioning than my New Balance Minimus racing flats. All the different brands make some pretty grandiose claims and, over the years I've been a physio and a runner, they increasingly seem over-inflated.
I've stopped listening to the blurb and my opinion is that if a shoe is comfortable and feels cushioned enough for you to run in, then it doesn't matter what some Mad Men say in a slick advertising campaign!


With that in mind I decided to save myself a few pounds and try what sports shop giant Decathlon had to offer. One of the best things about this shop is all the shoes are on display, so you can try lots of different styles and sizes without having to wait around for someone to radio down to the store room, only to find they've brought the wrong size or style.


I opted for the Kalenji Eliorun, that the website says is designed for "running on roads, in parks and on paths for up to 60 minutes, twice a week." Now, I have no intention of limiting my run times to an hour or only twice a week, but considering what I've said at the top of this post if my theory is right then that shouldn't matter.


Furthermore, coming in at a very wallet-friendly £29.99 there couldn't be too many complaints if they only last a season! (Considerations such as waste, environmental sustainability notwithstanding, of course)


So, onto the product...


The look:
I liked the bright, distinctive, contrasting colours of the yellow ones. For the more conservative amongst us there are several other options available. A nice first impression.


The feel:
These are a fairly light, as to be expected from this type of road shoe. Some of the weight will be saved by not having big, firm, supportive arch regions as seen in many shoes. Putting them on (I tried three sizes to get it just right), I found them to be as comfortable as any shoe (other than my NB Minimus) and thought that these would certainly do a good job for me. There was no slippage of the heel and the toe-box felt wide enough to be comfortable without being excessively roomy.


The performance:
Running on the road has felt comfortable and they give adequate support. I've also used them (out of necessity) for some trail runs of over an hour without issue, as well as The Equaliser middle-distance triathlon- where the run was over very varied terrain (report here),
I took them to the track for the first time last week and again they performed well- better than my legs actually, which were still empty from The Equaliser!
So far they have stood up to a variety of runs- short, long, road, track, trail, mud, flat, hilly...  so even though they're not really designed for that type of versatility they've coped well. That said, I wouldn't recommend them for trail running as the outer sole is soft and could be easily penetrated.


The pros:
These are a comfortable shoe at an amazing price. I like the colours and am not worried about not having a specific brand on my feet. They also did well on a variety of terrains, including those they're not meant for.


The cons:
Potential for a short life-span, though this has yet to seen either way, so I won't pass judgement on that. Might lack the support that some like to have, though more supportive options are available.


Buy them if:
- you want a nice comfortable shoe
- you're on a budget
- you're not worried about the brand
- you're happy with your running style and a neutral shoe


Don't buy them if:
- you feel you need extra support
- you want something suitable for trails
- you're feel the need to have a hundred pounds of footwear on
- you like a big-name brand


Verdict:
8/10